Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Fighting our own fights

Many things make us smart and single gals. One is we are single, or at least have a plethora of singledom experiences to share with the masses. The other is we are smart, meaning independent, intelligent, witty, charming and a whole bucket load of adjectives. This is a post dealing more with the smartness than with the singleness.

When faced with a less than pleasant situation, we must rely on ourselves defend our points and make our arguments.

We must be our own army and fight our own fights.

Sometimes this means meeting face on the bitchface that made out with our ex and now is going to be at a function.

Sometimes this means dealing with the jerkface who is trying to rip you off as he sells you a car. (Though I found, if you randomly start to cry in the middle of car negotiations they will knock off $500 and throw in new carpet mats)

Sometimes this means dealing with the situation I currently at hand.

Though it is definitely a trying time for me, and I would love to have some other source of strength standing beside me, holding my hand through all this, I am in a small way glad I get to deal with this on my own. I get to really witness how strong of a woman I have become. Can I stand up for myself, defend myself and be happy with whatever outcome happens, knowing I did my best. Can I verbalize exactly what I feel and express, in the most dignified of means, my side of an argument.

I do not like conflict. I grew up in a household that wouldn’t take anything to seriously. I only got into a handful of legitimate fights with my parents, mostly resulting in crazy hippie punishments like hugging trees, planting flowers, or forced meditation. This is not to say I was raised to have opinions and not be afraid to voice them.

So, even though I don’t have a boyfriend, and this is more guy friend trouble than guy trouble, it still takes a smart and single girl to get through, head still high, knowing I am capable of defending myself.

- tso, the 'smart' one

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

oh, tso, I know, I know.

and your woman-empowered-ness made me think of something the late and great Eleanor Roosevelt once said. I remind myself of it often.

"A woman is like a tea bag- you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water."

good for you for sticking to your guns. good for you, indeed.