Wednesday, February 28, 2007

"single" he told me? single, my ass.

apparently, I’m in a musical mood. deal.

So last night I went out for a friend’s birthday and we played pool. She and I were on a team versus her brother and her friend. She got in a tough shot, and her friend said “good job” and used her nickname, Nay-Nay.


About half an hour later, this fellow in a red shirt over at the next table, who has been kind of watching our games in-between his shots sees her miss a shot and kind of pout about it. He flirtily said, “don’t be so hard on yourself, Nay-Nay” and flashed her a big smile. But that’s not what I noticed. I noticed the flash of light off his wedding ring. I can spot those puppies a mile away.


No one else, it seemed, caught a glimpse of it, but it was there. And after the talk about how he was flirting, and after he continued to flirt with her from across the table, when the moment came I had to inform them of the disappointment in the form of a metal band.


So here we stood, three single women in a town FULL OF (albeit unfortunately not *good*) men, annoyed by the actions of another one of the clearly-not-good men. I mean, now, I’ve got to step back here and admit that I am a flirt. I am. I own it. I’ve been using my flirtatiousness since I was sixteen and talked the guy at the movie theatre into giving my two friends and me a free refill on our popcorn. I am not ashamed. Not even a little. Flirting is healthy, actually. It’s good for you. And sometimes it happens even when you don’t mean it to, y’know?


But when I’m in a relationship I’m rarely the one to initiate the flirting with someone other than my other, and if I do flirt it is brief and it is certainly much less leeringly than this fellow was being. If it’s me, you could call it “innocent.” But with him, it was different—the term eye-f*ck came up in our discussion after I informed them about his left digit and we began to bash his behavior. I mean, this guy was waaaay past the line of “okay flirting.”


And I find this highly annoying. And frustrating. And maybe it explains a bit about divorces, and why in 70-80% of the cases, it’s the ladies who do the leaving. Now, nobody here is saying that we women are better or more faithful or anything like that at all, no, no, don’t mistake. I think a lot of problems are two-way streets and you certainly can't place the blame all on one gender, no-sir-ee-bob. But I will say you hear a lot more country songs, scandalous news stories and gossip and tales of throwing-your-drink-on-someone where the guy is in the wrong. Maybe they’re just more likely to be caught? I dunno. But in any case, it made me think of the musical Chicago, and their Cell Block Tango.


he had it coming , he had it coming, he only had himself to blame, if you'd have been there, if you'd have seen it, i betcha you would have done the same!




~foxysavant

No comments: