Tuesday, February 27, 2007

it will always make you cry.

this weekend I did a little observation-work. Purely out of curiosity (dude, I'm nothing if not curious), I paid a whole lot of attention to the love lives of my two best friends. One is getting married in June and the other is in a very serious relationship--and presently both relationships are long distance. I live a looooong way away (~1,888 miles as the car drives) and as such haven't really gotten to know either of their guys.

sure, I've met them, but I don't *know* them. I know enough to like them, and that's good. But even though I only saw the girl-end of the relationship (the guys were at their homes) I got to get a better feel for their respective situations this weekend. And I most certainly liked what I saw. I'm no expert, but I think I know good things when I see them. And I'm a leeeetle protective/overly-concerned for them in general because I love them (and they're the same of me)--one is my oldest and first real best friend, and the other is incredible and true and has taught me so much. We're our own little triumverate, and I like it. But I digress.

so, I was thinking about how the three of our lives are all topsy turvy. One is getting married. One is in a serious relationship. And I, Little Miss Always-in-a-Relationship, am single. And you know what? I'm so down with this. Because their guys are great, and I'm kinda digging being single, too. It's fun for now, and adds perspective and all that jazz.

wondering about the title yet? hold onto your hats, cats and kittens, I'm getting to it...

I found myself singing the lyrics from a song I haven't heard in years. I was sitting in the lab, measuring the flux, thinking about my two best friends and their awesome guys who treat them wonderfully, and I realized I was singing to myself.

Do you know what movie makes pretty much any girl ever shed at least one tear? Or at the minimum get all watery eyed? That movie is Beaches. And the song I was singing was this one:

You've got to give a little, take a little,
And let your poor heart break a little.
That's the story of,
That's the glory of love.


You've got to laugh a little, cry a little,
Until the clouds roll by a little.
That's the story of,
That's the glory of love.


As long as there's the two of us,
We've got the world and all it's charms.
And when the world is through with us,
We've got each other's arms.


You've got to win a little, lose a little,
Yes, and always have the blues a little.
That's the story of,
That's the glory of love.


That's the story of,
That's the glory of love.


and you know what? it is so right. that is the glory of love.

~foxysavant

No comments: