Monday, April 23, 2007

so, I'd like you to...

1. look extra cute.
2. come hang out with my friends.
3. and pay for everything.

That's what I feel like I'm saying. Maybe I shouldn't feel like this, but I do. Is that weird? Do other people think like this? I mean, it's not what I intend to be saying, but at the end of the night, it's what I feel like I've said. okay, ending the girl-speak. let's try to explain...

I've been seeing this guy for, oh, a month and a half-ish. We're having a lot of fun--a little drama, too, but a lot of fun. And I wanted him to meet my friends, right? Especially my bestest friend down here, who he hadn't yet met. "Wanna come to dinner with us?" I asked. Of course he came. He knows she's important to me.

and at the end of the night, when the bill came, he insisted on paying even though I offered, and even though I invited him.

Maybe it's an appearance thing? I mean, I've paid for our drinks at a bar when it was just the two of us, and I bought our takeout the other night. And I offered to pay for our dinner. It wasn't expensive or anything. But he insisted. It's just that I'm not a "buy me this" kind of girl. Plus, as much as I know I shouldn't worry about this, I've gotta say that I'm an engineer and he's a school teacher. There's a disparity of income there, folks. And while I'm all about the guy doing the paying 'cause that's how it should be, and while I know that he's not spending mulah he doesn't have, I also know that, well, it makes me wonder.

I'm a libra. We're all about fairness. And not like EVERY time I invite him to do something I should shell out, but really? If I do the inviting then I feel like it should maybe kinda be my treat...

then again, if this is one of the bigger things on my mind? doing pret-ty well, methinks.

just another manic monday. and one that smells like rice, oddly enough. what DO people eat in their cubes, huh?

~foxysavant

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

ok i don't know if i'm getting this but you're saying that you want him to pay for you and your friends? if i'd invited him to join us, i'd have paid. but that's just me.

Anonymous said...

no, that's just it--I was being sarcastic. he won't LET me pay if it's in front of my friends. and then I feel like I'm saying "hey, come out with me and buy me food" because I'm not the one paying. make sense?

Anonymous said...

oh yes, got it now. well if he wants to pay then let him. he could always turn you down and not show up.

Anonymous said...

haha! Totally get what you're saying!! I hated it worse when he would come out with a LARGE group of my friends and feel like he had to buy them food/drinks/whatever...or another couple of MY friends (like a couple-couple). It's sweet and nice... but.. I get where you're coming from!! Men. Hmph.

HomeImprovementNinja said...

I have two thoughts on this:

1) why do need him to meet your friends? Do you need their approval?

2) it probably makes him feel good to pay, and I'm sure he appreciates the "slow reach" for the check so he can look like a gentleman.

Anonymous said...

actually, I don't need my friend's approval. I want it.

I happen to be a lucky girl who has awesome friends. And I want them to like any guy with whom they might interact regularly. make sense?